A Nostalgic Visit to Gander's Past
Gander Airport layout from the '50s
The familiar design that was used in many logos representing Gander sports teams, clubs and institutions. Even to this day, many people didn't realize that the logo represented the runway layout at Gander Airport of that era
WWII bombers refuel at Gander
An arial photo of parked US Army/Airforce bombers returning from Europe after VE Day being repostioned for the Pacific campaign. The activity at Gander must have been amazing. It would outwieght the activity at any airport in the world, even to this day
Where it all began
Captain Douglas Fraser landed the first airplane (VO-ADE) at Gander on Janurary 11, 1938. The hanger located to the left was the first and boasted having the largest free swinging door in the world for that time.
Gander's first store
Owned and operated by Goodyear Humber stores Ltd. Located near the railway station.
Gander's first area of commerce
On the road to the airport terminal on the left is Goodyears Resturant, commonly known as the "Greasy Spoon". The store is immediatley in the background. To the right is the original firehall later converted into a drug store and operated by Albert Jenkins. Not in the picture , to the right of the photographer's location, is the Eastbound Inn (hotel) and the Royal Bank.
Airport Skyways Hotels
Operated by the airport, these builings housed enroute overnighting passengers and airline flight crews. The buildings names were "The Jupiter" and "The Saturn". Another building known as "The Mercury" was mainly used to accommodate the airport's female staff.
Post Office & DoT Building
Located across the street from Hanger 13. In the background is the living quarters for the single male airport/construction workers. (Building numbers are not available to me at this time). Newhooks Garage is in the extreme background
Coronation Day Parade 1952
The citizen of Gander stand on the corner awaiting of Chestnut Street awaiting the Coronation parade. The Church of England Parish hall is to the right.
Gander Airport Terminal Building